Saturday 1 July 2023

A dirty Baldwin

Some time ago I picked up a Bachmann Baldwin, in plain black as WHR 590. I wanted a generic, well-used workhorse, so I removed the number from the side with T-Cut, although this left the tank sides looking polished. I'd also fitted a Bachmann EZ-mate buckeye coupling in the hope it would work with the Microtrains couplings, it did in that it would couple, but automatic uncoupling didn't work so they are no use for shunting. 


It struck me that although I couldn't make space for the Microtrains draft box, the pocket for the Bachmann coupling was similar to the draft box. Indeed, the coupling does fit over the centre post, and with the spring fitted and a Microtrains draft box lid filed down to fit, the Bachmann screw fitted on. It doesn't quite work as the coupling has pips that fit into slots inside the draft box, the Bachmann pocket doesn't have these slots, so the coupling swings to the right. I added a sliver of plastic into the pocket to stop the coupling swinging too far, a fudge but surprisingly it works well enough for the coupling to both couple and uncouple - albeit delayed action uncoupling doesn't seem to work. Better than the EZ-Mate anyway (there's still an EZ-mate on the back). 


Rather than dismantle the loco (which looks complicated), and have to mask details I didn't want painted, I decided to brush paint. This may have been a mistake, especially given Humbrol don't seem to be able to make matt black enamel paint anymore. It comes out patchy, part matt and part gloss. In the end I mixed more and more dark grey into the mix and applied many thin coats, resulting in a pleasing faded black - although not my smoothest paint job. I dry-brushed some details, such as gunmetal on handles and rust on some exposed edges, and then masked the wheels and motion and cab windows and gave it a quick spray of Dullcote. 


I've been painting a lot of figures recently, including some loco crews. The back row are ModelU figures for the two quarry Hunslets and (far right) the Double Fairlie. The three smaller figures on the front row are Preiser HO scale, which are useful for fitting into cramped loco cabs. 


After a little more weathering with powders the loco is looking old, faded, and neglected, but hopefully not too decrepit. Close-up the paint finish doesn't look too good, but to the eye it isn't so bad. You can see I had to use the HO figures. A little real coal (dust) in the bunker and the supplied works plates fitted finish it off. It certainly looks at home trundling up and down Loctern Quay. 

I've also spent some time checking all the locos and wagons over Loctern Quay ready for its showing at the Farnham and District 009 group open day tomorrow, at Wrecclesham Community Centre, Greenfield Road, Farnham, Surrey GU9 8TJ. Do say hello if you are there!

No comments: