Monday 2 November 2015

EXPO NG 2015

It was a long weekend. We set out soon after 3pm Friday to pick up the layout, which filled a van, two estate cars, and a small hatch-back, with no space to spare. The convoy then set off - in search of a suitable dining place! Refreshed we resumed the journey to Swanley and started the unloading and setting up. With my 8-year old Son I had to leave for the hotel first (it was in any case a very late night for him!), but we were back at 8am to finish the set-up.


The layout ran reasonably well despite a few niggles, and occasional chaos when we got confused over the sequence. But the testing and practice paid off, and we kept things moving, though over lunch-time lack of operators meant the brickworks and quarry were "mothballed".


So show viewing time was limited, but I did get an hour or so - and I was pleased to see Ynys Gwyntog (in O14) by the late Bob Barlow, editor of Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Review. I missed seeing Bob, although I'd only met him briefly on a few occasions and exchanged emails, he was always bubbling with friendly enthusiasm. It's great to see he was a truly accomplished modeller too.


This model of  the Talyllyn Railway in 1865 (the year it opened) in 5.5mm scale, 12mm gauge, by Tim Ticknell, is unusual and fascinating. We're used to seeing Talyllyn and Dolgoch preserved and shiny, or decrepit and just holding the line together, but in brand-new condition in a relatively bare landscape makes an interesting scene.


I'd been looking forward to seeing Creech Bottom (009) by James Hilton since seeing it on-line, and in Railway Modeller a few months back. It has just as much atmosphere in the flesh, and Jame's superb loco collection looks right at home. It just shows that simple can be so very effective.


I've been watching Tom Dauben develop Isle Ornsay (009) for some years and it now looks largely complete - though Tom would point out there is a lot still to do. The scenic work is top notch already though, and I don't think I have ever seen sea modelled so convincingly as that. Even without a train this scene is full of interest and character.

I could go on, there were so many excellent layouts, but instead I'll point you to the full set of photos I've uploaded. I got a lot of pictures, partly to compensate for having little time to look at the layouts, but some are rather hurried. Apologies if I saw you but didn't have time for a proper chat, or just missed you, but even so it was good to see so many familiar friendly faces.

Finally, Peco had been entrusted with Heljan's prototype Lynton & Barnstaple Manning Wardle 2-6-2, due to be released as the first mass-produced ready-to-run 009 loco sometime next year. Andrew Burnham obviously decided it needed to be demonstrated on a layout, so it appeared at Evaleight:



My shots are not great as first I was the wrong side of the layout and had the backscene in the way, then found the viewing side was packed with people wanting a good look! Anyway despite being without livery and appearing to have had some demanding testing already, it looked finely detailed and seemed to run very smoothly. I'll have to start saving....

3 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Michael. Nice photos of the exhibition.
I was following Tom Dauben's account of building the Hebridean Light on his wordpress blog but he stopped updating it 2 years ago. Glad to see it's near finished but do you know if Tom's still active online?
Colin.

Michael Campbell said...

Thanks Colin.

Yes Tom is active on the NGRM forum: ngrm-online.com/forums

You'll need to sign up to see it but it's worth it, Tom's thread is here:
http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2092-isle-ornsay-hebridean-light-railway-009/

Colin said...

Thanks Michael.