Saturday 20 August 2022

Redecoration

I mentioned in an earlier post that there wouldn't be much modelling this summer due to redecoration of our lounge-diner. That involved rewiring, wallpaper stripping, plastering, painting, new carpet and some new furniture units - and no, I didn't do all of that myself but the disruption has lasted weeks. However, it's now all finished and I have been able to set up my bookshelves and the layouts again at the end of the dining room. 

A little rearrangement has meant I've been able to extend the Ikea IVAR shelf from 1.5 to 2 bays, about 6 feet. I retrieved a folding desk for it from the garage from when the shelf unit was shortened after the kids were born, the desk gives a little workbench space when needed and I've fitted another shelf under the desk for useful storage too. Hexworthy is back on the shelving unit but the pillar means the "domestic" fiddle yard won't fit, so I'll have to make a new fiddle yard for home use stepped to fit around the pillar. Landswood Park is in the box-files underneath, and Loctern Quay sits on its short legs on the sideboard. 

I'm fortunate that my wife tolerates my layouts and railway stuff in the living room, and it's nice to have them on display and available for use, but it does mean they have to be made presentable and kept tidy. Now things are back to normal modelling should be able to restart soon - but don't expect much before what's left of summer is over!

2 comments:

Christopher Payne said...

Michael

With the layouts as seen on permanent display, how do you keep the dust off them?


CP

Michael Campbell said...

Hi Christopher, good question. Loctern Quay has a foamcore board lid which helps, and gets an occasional careful vacuum. It's probably less dusty than a garage or loft though.