Thursday 18 August 2022

New 009 Society Handbook

Back at the Narrow Gauge South show in April I was given a copy of the new 009 Society Handbook. This is now the third edition, it has been over two decades since the second edition and the first was published around the time I joined the Society over 30 years ago. I found it a useful reference then (my copy looks rather dog-eared), and I hope the new edition is just as useful to 009 modellers now - especially those new to the scale. This edition is a thick spiral-bound A4 book illustrated throughout in colour, and covers topics such as DCC and 3D printing as well as the age-old challenges of track laying, wiring, couplings, scratch-building, and even exhibiting your layout. 


The reason I was given a copy was because I had contributed a section on how to model inset track, using my experiences from building Loctern Quay and Slugworth which used different techniques, along with a short description of how the prototypes do inset track. 


The 4-page article includes lots of photos which I'd used on this blog, so I was able to illustrate the processes. 


As well as the article I'd provided, some of my photos were used in a couple of other sections written by Richard Glover, one covering different types of fiddle yards showed the "easy cassette" system I used on Awngate


Another section on micro layout design featured photos of my Southon Yard, and Joshua's Slugworth & Co., both of which were EXPO-NG competition winners. 


I have to say it's a real honour to have input to this handbook alongside many well-known modellers, the works of some of whom were an inspiration to me when I started in 009, or over the years since. The format of the handbook may look similar to the original, but it has been thoroughly updated with new content and covering new topics. If you model in 009 it is well worth picking up a copy from the Society sales. 

No comments: