Sunday 15 October 2023

Linda

Waaay back in 1993 I remember attending the Festiniog "Hunslet Hundred" celebrations as a teenager. The elegant lines of the Penrhyn "Ladies" made an impression on me, especially Linda. When Bachmann launched their models of the locos in Penrhyn condition last year it was clearly just a matter of time until the modern 2-4-0ST+T incarnations arrived.


So when I heard they had arrived, exclusively, at the Ffestiniog Railway shop I scraped together my savings and ordered Linda. There is something rather rakish I think about her longer cab roof and open tender. 


As with other recent Bachmann models, the detail is exquisite, with Linda's open cab showing off the cab detail nicely (but crying out for a crew!), and the livery and finish is very fine. Of course, it runs as well as it looks. This will look great pulling trains into Hexworthy - although I expect some subtle weathering may be applied, and it will need a crew. 


As with the other models of these locos, there is a firebox glow. A nice touch. Really, the only thing I don't like is the plasticky full load of coal in the tender. Why does it always have to be full? 

Both my models of the Penrhyn ladies together. Comparing them, the addition of the pony truck to Linda is barely visible, but the tender and indeed the re-profiled cab roof are obvious. Look closely and there are other differences - the addition of sandboxes, blower pipe, lubricator, vacuum pipes, drain cocks, and a conversion to left-hand drive (note the obvious reversing rod on the left side of Linda, found on the right of Blanche). Bachmann appear to have done their homework. 

No comments: