Wednesday 29 December 2021

A Fairlie good Christmas

The release of the ready-to-run Double Fairlie by Bachmann just a couple of months ago took 009 modellers by surprise. I built a Langley kit in my teens though it no longer works too well, and compared to the Bachmann model it looks rather crude. The Ffestiniog Railway is a long favourite of mine, and so a Fairlie had to be on my Christmas list! The model is superb, highly detailed with a fine paint finish, and I'm sure it will look good pulling a train into Hexworthy, even if it isn't in Wales...


As well as the Fairlie, I was given a rake of Peco skip wagons for Christmas, and another item of rolling stock...


A fine model of a 6-wheel brake coach by Hornby. OK, I might not have a layout I can actually run this on, since it is standard gauge, but I do have a collection of industrial locos so I will have to build one someday, won't I?


The coach even has lighting - wave the magnet block over the roof to turn them on and off, very neat. There is some light bleed through the plastic sides, I'm sure a little paint over the inside will fix that when I get around to fitting passengers. 

My modelling output has been pretty slow this year (OK, almost non-existent) but perhaps next year will be more productive? 

No comments: