Monday 18 September 2017

Rail painting

While thinking about buildings and backscenes, I thought I'd use a sunny afternoon to get a simpler job done - rail painting.

2017-09-17 16.08.14

So the garden became my studio... at least until a very black cloud appeared!

2017-09-17 16.09.19

I mixed up some enamel paint to a reddish brown, based on some photos of track at Amberley.

IMG_3867

It makes a surprisingly big difference to the look of the track, though the rail looks rather heavy at this angle. Lots more to do, the sleepers could do with being a little lighter and after ballasting, a thin wash will be used to tone things down.

So, back to thinking about the buildings...

IMG_3871

I've got three types of embossed plastic stonework: Wills (left), Slaters random (middle) and coursed stone (right). The question is which is most appropriate for Dartmoor. As a comparison there's a close-up of the bridge below.

IMG_3520

The other option is scribing DAS or similar, which I'd rather avoid!

1 comment:

James H said...

I'd say the Wills coarse stone is the closest match, but the Slaters one in the middle is also ok for larger areas... avoid the one on the right.