Saturday 1 April 2017

Work starts on a new layout...

Yes, I have started a new layout....

I've been doodling plans for some time, and will expand on those in a future post. Suffice for now to say it's 009, and will eventually fill the space on the bookshelf occupied by Awngate, so is a similar size (albeit a little longer). It also uses the "Super-Fiddle-Yard" built for Awngate a couple of years back, meaning I've had to make the end to match.

IMG_2626

There's some experimentation going on here. I have a plan for where I want to end up, and working back from that I decided to start back-to-front, or at least outside-in. So what you see here is the back-scene with end boards, the middle will follow shortly!

I got some good quality 3mm birch ply from a local timber merchant, who did a few cuts for me so they are straight, and I could fit the bits in the car! I also got various bits of small section timber, some from the off-cuts bin.

IMG_2627

The fiddle yard is joined using the same split hinge system as for Awngate - I got an extra set at the time, which have had to be aligned. I've added a timber frame to the base of the fiddle yard to raise it about 1.5", as the Awngate base-board is very shallow, and this one will be deeper. The frame can be unscrewed for use with Awngate, which has another show booking yet!

IMG_2629

Round the back is the other hinge making a rigid and self-aligning join. B&Q do a "Hockey-stick" timber section that is ideal for the top of back-scene brace, and their cheap staple-gun is a good way to attach it.

1 comment:

joppy said...

I'll be following this avidly, especially as I've just started on my first small layout for a long time.