Friday 28 May 2021

Health and safety

I am very considerate of my 1:76 scale railway employee's safety, and so I have added safety railings to the ground frames. Well, actually I thought it would add a subtle modern twist to the traditional looking station, reflecting the preservation era it is set in. 

At the station throat the 4-lever ground frame has a railing to protect the operator from passing railway vehicles. The railing is 1mm brass rod bent using round-nose pliers and given a waft of primer before being painted health-and-safety yellow, with a little dry-brushed rust and dirt. This was then glued into a couple of holes in the baseboard. 


 At the loco release point by the yard the railings are on the yard side to protect them and the rodding from road vehicles. I'm hoping they offer some real-life protection too, the plastic levers are vulnerable to knocks. With hindsight I should have fitted the levers after completing the scenery...

1 comment:

Phil Parker said...

As you say, it's a subtle touch, but shows good observation and understanding that a modern preserved railway is not exactly the same as a 1950s line. For a start, there are toilets...